SixAxis designs and manufactures advanced products here in America that increase safety and boost productivity around the globe. We innovate new products and processes for our customers that drive safer, smarter, and more effective solutions. We’ve expanded multiple times over the past decade to accommodate our continued growth and now we’re looking for a Detailing Checker to join our team.
This role reports to the Detailing Manager and is responsible for reviewing engineering drawings of structural components, assemblies, and installations to detect errors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Examines engineering drawings and Bills of Material of structural components, assemblies, and installations to ensure accuracy, adherence to design standards, and detect errors in design documents
- Compares figures lines on production drawing or diagram with production layout, examining angles, dimensions, bend allowances and tolerances for accuracy
- Determines practicality of design, material selection, available tooling, and fabrication process, applying knowledge of drafting and manufacturing methods
- Confers with design personnel to resolve drawing design discrepancies
- Generates and revises detailed design drawings and specifications for SixAxis products using SolidWorks from basic layouts, established references, and standard data
- Coordinates appropriate weights, devices, and drawings required for downstream internal customers.
- Checks drawings for accuracy, completeness, and conformance to standard drafting practices and company standards
- Checks shop and field erection drawings for accuracy and completeness per project specifications and scope documentation
Reviews selected welds for appropriateness and conformance to design standards
- Contributes design modifications to improve quality of product or facilitate manufacturing operations
- Revises drawings through engineering change request system
- Implements new part releases and changes in SolidWorks PDM system
- Works with design engineers and detailers to complete drawing packages
- Checks designs against design rules and requirements
- Understands and incorporates into design requirements established by governing agencies such as AISC, AWS, OSHA, IBC, ADA etc.
- Perform and/or review dimensional fit / tolerance analysis
- Provide designers or engineers with redlined drawings
- Review all drawings for scope of work accuracy
- Checks bill of materials on fabrication drawings to include standard items and correct packing quantity
- Coordinates with key production and field service personnel to establish best practices on drawings and documentation for fabrication and installation processes
- Provides feedback and recommendations on drawing and design improvements
- Other responsibilities as business needs dictate.
- 3+ years’ daily experience as mechanical drafter/checker
- 7+ years’ mechanical detailing or design experience, structural detailing preferred
- Proficiency with SolidWorks for drafting and 3D modeling preferred
- Knowledge of dimensioning and tolerance standards (GD&T is a plus)
- Knowledge of metal finishing and welding processes preferred
- Organized and able to handle multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- High initiative, disciplined and willing to work through complex designs
- Demonstrated aptitude for problem-solving; ability to determine effective solutions for customers
- Motivated team player with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Results-orientated and able to manage multiple projects in parallel.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and a willingness to ask questions
- Excellent time management skills while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy
- Associate degree in Mechanical Drafting or related field preferred