Powder Coat Specialist
The Powder Coating Specialist coordinates the application of powder coating and assures the process has standard work, a fluid management plan, and appropriate quality checks in place. Also develops process documentation and trains staff to meet quality and production standards for this process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Acts as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the powder coating department including incoming quality, material preparation, powder coating process, and outgoing quality.
• Evaluates performance of wash line and powder coat system to identify and recommend needed improvements to increase efficiencies and throughput while improving product quality
• Develops process documentation and Standard Operating Procedures
• Identifies, recommends, and coordinates vendors to assist with process improvements
• Determines and controls process settings and coating quality by performing quality inspections
• Ensures quality standards and processes are used throughout department
• Ensures safety guidelines are being met to assure a safe work environment
• Visually checks finished items for cure, proper coverage, surface quality, and proper adhesion.
• Resolves technical problems and recommends production improvements.
• Develops and delivers specification training and documentation of powder coating process.
• Operates machines or equipment used in the powder coating process
• Observes machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards as necessary
• Trains associates, writes appropriate SOP’s and adjusts speed as necessary
• Provides hands-on preventative maintenance responsibilities
• Functions as a technical liaison to drive improvements and defect reduction/resolution
• Other duties as needed to meet business requirements
• 5+ years powder coating process control experience
• Lean Manufacturing experience
• Strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Experience developing and making set-ups and operating powder coating booths requiring constant alertness and activity.
• Ability to interpret job related instructions and solve practical problems.
• Must be able to perform powder coating operations independently
• Experience proactively improving operations by reducing costs
• Mechanically inclined with ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
• Associates Degree preferred