PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Position requires ongoing training and self-motivation to develop new skills and to maintain current skills used to design/detail applications in the tank car loading rack industry. Must maintain a self-starter attitude and use excellent problem-solving skills to derive solutions to daily tasks and adhere to office practices/ procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for the Engineering component of SafeRack deployed solutions. Working with internal Sales and Drafting resources, prescribe the mechanical and structural solution for customers.
• Perform load calculations as needed for platform structures and related piping racks, etc.
• Handle multiple assignments, from complex to simple solutions.
• Leverage existing SafeRack deployed designs, for application in each unique customer need.
• Review, approve, and implement mechanical engineering standards, policies, and procedures.
• Provide technical engineering input (as required) for estimating and bid proposal requirements.
• Provide interpretations of all external codes, regulations, specifications, and the like.
• Provide value engineering direction for company engineering activities.
• Perform additional assignments per direction, such as product improvement, NPD, LEAN, etc…
• Manage and direct outside consultants to develop engineering documents, as required. Obtain PE stamps for respective states, when assigned/required.
• Participate in the management of larger mechanical/structural engineering projects, when assigned.
• Ensure effective management of change. Reviews work with client, management and project leads.
• Audit existing mechanical systems/solutions and recommend solutions to improve
• Adherence to internal and external deadline and project dates. Communicates variances to schedules.
• Flexibility to work outside normal work hours/weekends as required
• Some travel with occasional overnight stays for project-based activities
SPECIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
• Four years Mechanical or Civil Engineering degree from an accredited university; EIT or PE a plus
• 3-5 years’ experience in mechanical construction
• Project Management experience; PMP a plus
• Experience in Solid Works modeling, or other parametric Engineering software
• Experience in RISA or similar structural Engineering software